Title: The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8 AM)
- Author: Hal Elrod
- Book Category: Self Help, Personal Development, Productivity
- Publication date: December 7, 2012
SUMMARY (Verbatim & Paraphrased)
Book summary in three sentences (in my own words)
- Everyone needs a personal development focused morning routine; because the way you start your morning sets the pace for the rest of your day, week, month, and year, and consequently, your life.
- A good morning routine can be adapted by anyone from the S.A.V.E.R.S template, which stands for Silence, Affirmations, Visualization, Exercise, Reading, and Scribing.
- To transform your morning routine into a habit, you should commit to it for at least 30 days, progressing through all three distinct phases in the habit formation process; The unbearable, uncomfortable, and unstoppable phase.
Resonating Quotes & Highlights (Verbatim)
- Most people resign themselves to a life of mediocrity, passively accepting whatever life gives them…To defeat this cause of mediocrity, you need a life purpose, which can be any purpose you want. It can be anything that resonates with and inspires you to wake up every day and live in alignment with your purpose.
- “Your level of success will rarely exceed your level of personal development, because success is something you attract by the person you become” -Jim Rohn
- Every time you choose to do the easy thing, instead of the right thing, you are shaping your identity, becoming the type of person who does what’s easy, rather than what’s right.
- It is often said that “misery loves company”, but so does mediocrity. Don’t let the fears, insecurities, and limiting beliefs of others limit what’s possible for you.
- Your life is made up of the Physical, Intellectual, Emotional, and Spiritual parts (PIES)…by focusing time and effort each day on developing your P.I.E.S., and constantly becoming a better version of yourself, your life situation will inevitably almost automatically improve.
- Most people are limited by visions of their past, replaying previous failures and heartbreaks. Creative visualization enables you to design the vision that will occupy your mind, ensuring that the greatest pull on you is your future a compelling, exciting, and limitless future.
- When you commit to The Miracle Morning (MM) 30-Day Life Transformation Challenge, you will be building a foundation for success in every area of your life, for the rest of your life
REVIEW (Personal Opinions, Takeaways, and Applications)
What I agree with – Creating a morning routine sets you up for a day of success which compounds into successful weeks, months, years, and a lifetime of success. I have easily had my least productive days when I started my morning on social media or following trending stories/news.
What I disagree with – I disagree with Hal’s recommendation on sleep. He tries to make the case for thriving with less than the 7-8 hour/night recommended sleep duration. First of all, there is plenty of scientific data to support the importance of getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Sleeping less than 7–8 hours per night has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, glucose metabolism, depression, and decreased immune function. Secondly, his recommendation on how to use self-talk to determine the right amount of sleep for your body is not based on any rigorous scientific research. In his defense, Hal did mention that this was based on his self-experimentation and may have slightly shifted his view on this matter based on a recent podcast episode: My Hour-by-Hour Miracle Morning & Daily Schedule where he discusses waking up naturally instead of using an alarm clock.
What I need to learn more about – Visualization, mental rehearsal, and affirmations. Conversations around these topics have become increasingly prevalent and are now more than ever, now being explored in the scientific world. I have little knowledge and personal experience but I am open to learning more.
My favorite idea – This book is jampacked with plenty of actionable ideas and tips and many that I found extremely helpful. My favorite is the 5-Step Snooze-Proof Wake Up Strategy. This strategy is like a pre-morning routine ritual, which helps you beat the snooze monster. This is what mine looks like.
Wake up → Wear Smartwatch → Bathroom → Brush Teeth → Wash Face→ Drink 1-2 glasses of water → Start Morning routine.
I liked it so much, that I implemented it the very next day, even before I completed the book and 2 weeks before I started my own MM 30-Day challenge.
My favorite quote
My action steps after reading the book
- I committed to running every morning for 30 days, to run a marathon in the next 12-18 months.
- I started the miracle morning routine (a slightly modified version of it) and commit to it for a minimum of 30 days.
Who I recommend this book to
First of all, would I recommend this book, a resounding YES! Who would I recommend this book to? Everyone, but in particular, for anyone;
- without a morning routine habit in place
- that wants to boost their daily productivity
- that is feeling stuck, lost, and needs a life reset
- with a new short term goal. You can customize and tailor parts of S.A.V.E.R.S to the specific goal.
Buy the Book:
- www.HalElrod.com (Author’s Website)
- Achieve Your Goals with Hal Elrod (Podcast)
- The Miracle Morning Community (Facebook Group)
- The Miracle Morning Movie (Documentary)
My Final Thoughts…Let’s play devil’s advocate for a moment. Can The Miracle Morning really set the foundation to transform your life in 30 days? Challenge accepted!
I officially started my MM 30-Day challenge on July 20th, 2020.